Starting this week, DC’s Loaves and Fishes program will start collecting at the MtP Farmers Market. Volunteers will be collecting food starting at 1pm from vendors. This is a great opportunity to speak with volunteers as they collect about ways to help DC’s hungry. Welcome to the Loaves and Fishes volunteers.
- Buskers. Neighbors delight with their musical talents on guitar and vocals. From 9-11 we have Gabe Popkin and from 11-1 Matt Haygood will play.
- It is National Library Card sign-up month. Volunteers from the MtP Library will be around to sign people up for a library card!
- On Saturday September 20, 2014 from 10-12p a truck will pull up on MtP Street, and you are all welcome to drop off old electronics, wires, cds, basically anything that has wires in it. We will recycle it, free of charge. Brought to you by Linda Lowe realtors.
- Children’s Play Area. Make your market trip a family affair. Shop with your young-ones and then relax and play in our kids space. We’ll bring the toys!
UPDATES FROM FARMERS AND FOODIES:
Pleasant Pops: This week Pleasant Pops will have: Strawberry Ginger Lemonade, Watermelon Mint, Chocolate Mint and Vegan Mexican Chocolate.
People’s Bao: Peter has Chinese steamed edamame buns with tender, slow roasted free range heritage pork or duck. Also available are hot Asian soups to enjoy at the market or cold to take home.
Earth Spring Farm: Cherry tomatoes, Yellow taxi tomatoes, green peppers, Eggplant, Yukon gold and Red Pontiac Potatoes, Cabbage, Carrots, Beets, Kholrabi, Spaghetti Squash, Cucumbers, Zucchini, various lettuces, Kale, a variety of onions (cippolini, tropea, red marble, white spanish and cortlands), Red Russian Garlic, Basil, Parsley, Sage, Thyme, and pastured, non-GMO and (non-certified organic) eggs!
Quaker Valley Orchards: Yellow sentry peaches, white peaches, nectarines, yellow donut peaches, white donut peaches, sugar plums, pristine apples, zestar apples, ginger gold apples, blackberries, red raspberries, blueberries, beans, onions, tomatoes, and potatoes. Dry goods: applesauce, apple butter honey, jams, and popcorn.
Reid’s Orchard: Yellow and white peaches, yellow nectarines, blueberries, apples (Honeycrisp, Gala, Macoun, Ginger Gold, Early Fuji, McIntosh and more ), seedless grapes, Concord grapes, Italian plums, heirloom tomatoes, and Cider (Apple, Apple Cherry, Apple Grape).
Atwater’s Bread: Naturally leavened, hand shaped loaves like Irish Brown, Peasant Wheat, Sunflower Flex, Sesame Wheat, Struan, Ten Grain, Spelt, Olive, Caraway Rye, Raisin Pumpernickel, Raisin Walnut, Cranberry Pecan, Jalapeno Cheddar, Catonsville Sourdough, Rosemary Italian, Country White, Ciabatta, baguettes. As well as luscious sweets – Seasonal pies, Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies, Oatmeal Raisin Cookies, Molasses Ginger Cookies, Snickerdoodles, Apricot Bran Muffins, Coffee Cake Pecan Muffins, Mixed Fruit Scones, our Good Food Award winning jam, Fruit & Nut Granola, Cherry Chocolate Granola, Seasonal Teacakes, brownies, and pound cake.
Groff’s Content Farm: Beef: steaks, short ribs, roasts, jerky, ground beef. Lamb. Most pork cuts. Eggs. Complete raw meat dog food. Tallow soaps.
Spring Gap Mountain Creamery: Fresh from Paw Paw, WV, four cheeses: Jersey Gold gouda, Shenandoah Sunrise tomme, Sophie’s Select cheddar, Farmhouse Feta, and Bloomery, their version of camembert.
Truck Patch Farms: Lettuce spring mix, arugula, kale, swiss chard, purslane, red beets, heirloom tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, cabbage, cauliflower, and melons.
Truck Patch Meat Department: Andouille sausage this week! Plus, smoked sausage- Applewurst, Country, Ground, Italian hot and sweet, Maple, Sage. Bacon, smoked maple, garlic, and pepper. All cuts of pork. Shoulder roast bone inand boneless, Shoulder chops, Ribs, and Hams steaks. Whole chickens as well as parts. Turkey all parts and ground. Turkey burgers, white and dark meat. Eggs.
Richfield Farm: Potatoes, onions, broccoli, kohlrabi, several varieties of lettuce, chard, several varieties of kale, tomatoes, summer squash, eggplant, and melons (honeydew and water).
Craft Kombucha: Washington D.C.’s neighborhood kombucha brewery, Craft Kombucha brings balance to your life and your body. Each Saturday you can come fill up your refillable bottles with one of six unique and delicious flavors. This weekend’s flavor lineup will feature the return of Bavarian Falcon! Also on tap will be Ginger, Grapefruit, Pomegranate and two other exciting Craft Kombucha flavors.
Number 1 Sons: Our resident pickle vendor will have a variety of pickles and kraut!
- Always wanted to learn more about gardening, but didn’t have the time or resources? Check out the Neighborhood Farm Initiative. NFI offers a variety of courses and gardening opportunities for people of all ages!
- Join DC Greens for Sunday/Funday/Workday at the Walker Jones Farm anytime between 10am and 4pm!